Preparing for a severe storm or wind emergency to help minimize damage to your property can be the difference from moderate to a disaster.
Gusty winds are great for flying kites, windsurfing and hoisting flags, but they’re not all fun and games. High winds can bring down power lines, cause property damage and pose life-threatening dangers to people and pets. Staying safe and minimizing wind damage is a matter of staying alert and responding quickly when high winds are present or predicted.
Taking these steps and actions could limit the amount of damage that could be inflicted on your home and belongings:
- Place cars in garages or where they will be protected from flying debris, such as tiles or branches.
- Remove items from around your home that may be blown into windows/patio doors.
- Keep pets indoors. Shelter outdoor pets, or bring under cover in a protected location.
- Check that nearby trees and/or tall structures are undamaged and in good condition. That they are not in danger of being blown over and damaging your home or placing people in danger.
If high winds have been forecast or are happening, the following actions should be taken:
- Keep listen to the local media for any further warnings or emergency information.
- Do not go outside unless it is safe. If it is absolutely essential that you do so, watch out for flying debris. Wearing eye and head protection will add a layer of protection.
- Do not attempt to make any repairs until the storm is over.
- Do not drive until the winds are over. If you must, drive slowly and use your lights to make you more visible keeping your distance from other vehicles.
- Report down or damaged power lines to your electricity provider. STAY AWAY and DO NOT touch them. High voltage can kill.
- Report any fallen trees, do not attempt to remove them.
HERE TO HELP IN ANY WEATHER
During high winds, flying debris can cause significant damage to your home or vehicle. Your homeowners insurance or auto insurance may cover the damage depending on the coverage you have.
Our friendly, knowledgeable team at Billy Davis Insurance Group is always here to help you with your coverage or to find the right protection that fits you.
Talk to a local agent to get a quote customized just for you. Or get a quote online here.